Updated: July 16, 2021
As summer in Chicago gets into full swing, it's a reminder just how far we have come as a community since this time last year. We simply could not have endured the ongoing Covid crisis without the dedication of this incredible community and the passionate work of the staff, faculty and volunteers.
As of June 11, the State of Illinois and the City of Chicago have moved to Phase 5. However, there are still some limitations and the school will continue to stay on the cautious side of things based on medical guidance from consultants and trusted members of our community.
The ongoing safety of our students, staff, and faculty remains our highest priority. We will continue to provide updates here on this alert page, which contains the most up-to-date information.
Please read below for additional clarification on our current policies and what you can expect from Old Town School in-person experiences over the coming sessions of class as we aim to provide a safe and welcoming space to gather and make music and dance together.
Online Classes & Lessons:
- We are so glad to have many new friends from around the world as part of our community and we will continue to offer a variety of online courses.
- Please keep in mind, online course availability and options may be limited by teacher availability and student interest.
In-Person Classes, Lessons & Special Events:
- Limited classes are available at both Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park campuses and we will continue to phase in more in-person offerings in our summer and fall sessions.
- We expect a larger catalog of in-person classes in the fall.
- Course availability and options may be limited by teacher availability, student interest, and availability of appropriate classroom space.
- Students will be allowed access to their designated classroom immediately before and immediately after their scheduled classes. No practice rooms or other room reservations are available. Jams remain online or suspended for the time being.
- Please visit this page for additional information about our Together, In Tune health & safety measures in our classrooms.
In-Person Classes, Lessons & Special Events:
- Our first in-person concert of the year is July 2, outside in Evanston in partnership with Post 42 of the American Legion at the Canal Shores Golf Course. Lineup and ticket information will be announced shortly.
- In-person concerts indoors will begin on August 22nd with Molly Tuttle. More details on safety and ticketing procedures to come.
- The Old Town School Music Store is open to the public but has a capacity limit of 6 customers at a time and encourages keeping shopping times to 20 minutes or less.
- Online ordering as well as curbside pickup will continue to be available.
- Rentals are available, but inventory is limited, please call 773-751-3398 for additional details.
In-person Safety Protocols:
1. Masks & Vaccination Policy
- For our upcoming session, beginning June 21, we will continue to require masks for everyone age two and up inside our buildings including the Music Store. However, adult group classes that are held in our tent classroom outdoors, may remove their masks while maintaining social distances of at least six feet. Many of the participants in our community are under age 12 and have not yet been vaccinated. A number of adults in our community may not have been vaccinated for one reason or another as well.
- We will not require proof of vaccination.
- We are aware of the evolving CDC, State, and City of Chicago guidelines on COVID regulations and mask wearing. The health and safety guidelines we have in place are working well to keep our community safe and our in-person classes running.
- This policy is subject to change based on medical guidance. We are constantly evaluating our health and safety guidelines, and we will promptly notify you with any updates. Current students will be notified by email when we update mask rules.
2. Clean Air
- All buildings in our Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park campuses have been tested and have been adjusted to exceed CDC guidelines for ventilation. As we continue to make improvements in this area, additional information will be posted here or on.
- We ask that students promptly make their way out of the building once their class concludes so that we can maintain clean and safe spaces for the next round of students.
3. Other protocols
- Students, Faculty and Staff may not come to campus if feeling ill and will still need to fill out a quick health questionnaire upon arrival or before each class. See your class reminder email or the posters at building entrances for additional information.
- Buildings will continue to be cleaned under the heightened safety protocols put in place in 2020.
- We will notify students/staff of COVID infections that are reported during relevant periods of potential contact where appropriate.
The ongoing safety of our students, staff and faculty remains our highest priority.
Thank you for your patience and for being a part of the vibrant Old Town School community. See you soon, either in-person or online!
Customer Service Information
We are here to help. Thank you in advance for your patience during this challenging time.
773-728-6000 - Every Day 10am to 4pm
Reach out to us on social media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter