Health & Safety Measures
Updated: August 11, 2021
While we are excited to make music together in person again, we take the health and safety of our community very seriously. As of June 11, the State of Illinois and the City of Chicago have moved to Phase 5. However, there are still some limitations and the school will continue to stay on the cautious side of things based on medical guidance from consultants and trusted members of our community.
The ongoing safety of our students, staff and faculty remains our highest priority. We will continue to provide updates on our COVID alert page, which contains the most up-to-date information.
In order to maintain the safest space possible for our students, teachers, artists, staff, and attendees, proof of vaccination for all attendees ages 12 and up or a negative COVID-19 test is required for entry to all events, concerts, and classes at Old Town School of Folk Music.
For our students and guests under the age of 12:
- For concert perfomances a negative COVID test within the previous 72 hours is required for all unvaccinated attendees, including those under 12.
- Weekly tests for students under 12 are not required, but completion of the student Health Self-Check remains required for entry into the building on class days. Students who are sick, experiencing symptoms, have recently traveled to COVID hotspots are asked to follow the procedures listed HERE.
- Parents and caregivers over the age of 12 must show proof of vaccination or negative COVID test within the last 72 hours prior to entry along with the online Health Self-Check.
Acceptable forms of safety status:
- Vaccination cards or clear photocopies as proof of vaccination, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to date of arrival which must match the name on your government-issued photo ID.
- Phone pictures of your vaccination card will be considered acceptable forms and must match the name on your government-issued photo ID.
- A current negative COVID test performed within the previous 72 hours prior to entry.
Our masking policy remains unchanged: Staff, faculty, students, concert attendees, and members of the public must be masked in all public indoor settings at all times.
If you no longer wish to attend Old Town School of Folk Music programming based on this policy change, please call our customer service representatives at 773-728-6000, live chat on oldtownschool.org, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for your options. Additional information is included in the FAQ below. More information will be provided for specific procedures for entering the buildings.
Thank you for your understanding and support while we navigate this difficult time and aim to do our part to keep our community safe.
This policy is subject to change based on city and state guidelines and/or as guidance evolves.
Additional Safety Measures:
Our “Together, In Tune” commitment will mitigate infection risk for students by:
- "Together, In Tune" - As a social commitment to the well being of the School and its community, all students, teachers, staff, and faculty will work together to strike a healthy chord by:
- Staying home when sick
- Obeying proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test policy
- Obey physical distancing rules and other protocols at all times
- Report exposure you have had to a person who is COVID-19 positive to email@example.com
- Follow Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) directives following close contact to COVID-19 active cases
- Adhering to local safety guidelines
- Complete the self-health check before coming to the School
- Leave the School if experiencing any symptoms of illness during class
- Quarantine when necessary
- Layering safety measures
- Mask wearing at all times (except children under 2 years of age)
- Maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet
- Class size limited and consistent (no drop-ins)
- For Wiggleworms, space is limited to two caregivers per registered child
- For Kids Dance classes, two caregivers per registered child may accompany the child class. Caregivers must wait in the designated waiting area for the duration of the class
- Frequent hand washing
- Limited Campus Access -- our buildings will only be open for currently registered students, faculty, staff, and concert-goers (day-of show only prior to the concert start time). Students will be allowed access to their designated classroom immediately before and immediately after their scheduled classes. No practice rooms or other room reservations are available.
- The Old Town School Music Store is open to the public but has a capacity limit of 6 customers at a time and encourages keeping shopping times to 15 minutes or less. Rentals are available, but inventory is limited. Online ordering and curbside pickup will continue to be available.
- No food or drink is allowed. Dance students may bring a water bottle from home and may only remove masks to drink at designated times.
- Restrooms will be available immediately before, during, and immediately after scheduled classes.
- All students will need to complete a self-health screening prior to arrival.
- Intensified Facility Sanitation
- Increased Ventilation – All buildings in our Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park campuses have been tested and have been adjusted to exceed CDC guidelines for ventilation
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the acceptable forms of vaccination proof?
Your vaccination card or a clear and legible photocopy or picture on your phone will be accepted.
Are masks required for fully vaccinated attendees?
Staff, faculty, students, concert attendees, and members of the public must be masked in all public indoor settings at all times.
For concerts, masks are required of all attendees when not eating or drinking at their seats in the theater. Masks will be worn at all times by staff and volunteers.
Can I still attend with a negative COVID test?
A current negative COVID test performed within the previous 72 hours prior to entry will be accepted. Students 12 and over who are unvaccinated will be asked weekly to provide updated recent negative Covid tests. Children under 12 attending concerts must also provide a negative covid test for entry.
More information will be emailed to students prior to the start of your class with details for specific procedures to enter the buildings.
Where can I get the vaccine?
What if I lost my vaccination card?
If you didn’t receive the vaccine card or lost it, your first step is to contact your vaccination provider or location where you received your vaccination. If you can’t contact your provider, you can reach out to contact your state health department’s immunization information system.
State health departments will either email or mail a copy of your vaccination card, although it may take one to two weeks.
Can I get a refund?
If you no longer wish to attend Old Town School in-person programming due to this policy change, please contact our Customer Service team at 773-728-6000 during business hours. Additionally live chat is available at oldtownschool.org, or you can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each concert has a specific refund and reschedule policy. Please refer to the email you receive when a show is rescheduled for deadlines to request a refund.
If you have purchased tickets to a concert that has been rescheduled, your tickets will automatically be transferred to the new date. If you are unable to attend the rescheduled date and would like a refund issued to your credit card, please email us at email@example.com. For security purposes, we do not store your credit card information.
If you have purchased tickets to a concert that has been canceled, your ticket purchase will be refunded automatically as a credit on your Old Town School account to be used for any future purchases at Old Town School. If you would like a refund issued to your credit card, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are here to help! Please contact our Customer Service team at 773-728-6000 during business hours. Additionally live chat is available at oldtownschool.org or you can contact us via email at email@example.com.
Is the Music Store open?
Yes, the Old Town School Music Store is open for business, rentals, and online shopping. In-person shopping is available for short 15 minute visits during business hours - please browse the website before you arrive. Our Music Store staff is happy to answer questions during normal business hours at 773-751-3398. More details and online shopping available at musicstore.oldtownschool.org.
How does your contact tracing work?
Contact tracing will be conducted and communicated directly with students who have come in close contact with anyone confirming infection. (CDC defines close contact as any individual within 6 feet of an infected person for a total of 15 minutes or more.)
I don’t have a government issued ID or my question isn’t answered here.
We are happy to assist with your specific concerns. Please contact our Customer Service team at 773-728-6000 during business hours. Additionally live chat is available at oldtownschool.org, or you can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long is this policy in effect?
This applies to all classes and concerts for the foreseeable future. We'll update the policy as new guidance requires and circumstances permit.