Health & Safety Measures
Updated: January 11, 2022
While we are excited to continue making music together in person, we take the health and safety of our community very seriously. The ongoing safety of our students, staff and faculty remains our highest priority.
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, the City Of Chicago has issued Public Health Order 2021-2, which requires that specific groups of patrons are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of January 3, 2022.
In order to maintain the safest space possible for our students, teachers, artists, staff, and attendees, please see the following guidelines:
In-Person Classes and Lessons:
- Proof of vaccination for all students ages 12 and older is required for entry.
- Students ages 5 and older participating in dance and movement activities are an exception and need to be fully vaccinated under the Chicago Vaccine Requirements.
Concert Attendees Ages 5 and Older:
- Proof of vaccination for all attendees ages 5 and older is required for entry.
Concert Attendees Ages 4 and Younger:
- Negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours is required for entry.
Acceptable forms of vaccination verification:
- Vaccination cards or clear photocopies as proof of vaccination, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to date of arrival which must match the name on your government-issued photo ID (ages 16 and older).
- Phone pictures of your vaccination card will be considered acceptable forms and must match the name on your government-issued photo ID.
- Digital record or printed record from vaccine provider.
Attendees to in-person programming at Old Town School of Folk Music who are sick, experiencing symptoms, have received a positive test result or have recently traveled to COVID hotspots are asked to stay home. We encourage our entire community and their families to get vaccinated and boosted if able. Additional resources for vaccines and policy details available at Chicago.gov
Our masking policy remains unchanged: Staff, faculty, students, concert attendees, and members of the public must be masked (KN95 and N95 masks are recommended) in all public indoor settings at all times.
If you no longer wish to attend Old Town School of Folk Music programming based on this policy change, please call our customer service representatives at 773-728-6000, live chat on oldtownschool.org, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for your options. Additional information is included in the FAQ below. More information will be provided for specific procedures for entering the buildings.
Thank you for your understanding and support while we navigate this difficult time and aim to do our part to keep our community safe.
This policy is subject to change based on city and state guidelines and/or as guidance evolves.
Additional Safety Measures:
Our Together, In Tune commitment will mitigate infection risk for students by:
- Together, In Tune - As a social commitment to the well being of the School and its community, all students, teachers, staff, and faculty will work together to strike a healthy chord by:
- Staying home when sick and/or have received positive test result for COVID-19
- Obeying proof of vaccination policy
- Obey physical distancing rules and other protocols at all times
- Follow Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) directives following close contact to COVID-19 active cases
- Adhering to local safety guidelines
- Leave the School if experiencing any symptoms of illness during class
- Quarantine when necessary
- Layering safety measures
- Mask wearing at all times (except children under 2 years of age)
- Maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet
- Class size limited and consistent (No drop-ins and no in-person makeups at this time. Please contact customer service about online makeup options.)
- For Wiggleworms, space is limited to two caregivers per registered child
- For Kids Dance classes, two caregivers per registered child may accompany the child class. Caregivers must wait in the designated waiting area for the duration of the class
- Frequent hand washing
- Limited Campus Access -- our buildings will only be open for currently registered students, faculty, staff, and concert-goers (day-of show only prior to the concert start time). Students will be allowed access to their designated classroom immediately before and immediately after their scheduled classes. No practice rooms or other room reservations are available.
- The Old Town School Music Store is open to the public but has a capacity limit of 3 customers at a time and encourages keeping shopping times to 15 minutes or less. Rentals are available, but inventory is limited. Online ordering and curbside pickup will continue to be available.
- No food or drink is allowed. Dance students may bring a water bottle from home and may only remove masks to drink at designated times.
- Restrooms will be available immediately before, during, and immediately after scheduled classes.
- Intensified Facility Sanitation
- Increased Ventilation – All buildings in our Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park campuses have been tested and have been adjusted to exceed CDC guidelines for ventilation
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the acceptable forms of vaccination proof?
Your vaccination card or a clear and legible photocopy or picture on your phone will be accepted.
What does it mean to be fully vaccinated?
People are considered fully vaccinated by the City Of Chicago:
- 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or;
- 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine.
Are masks required for fully vaccinated attendees?
Staff, faculty, students, concert attendees, and members of the public must be masked in all public indoor settings at all times.
For concerts, masks are required of all attendees when not eating or drinking at their seats in the theater. Masks will be worn at all times by staff and volunteers.
Can I still attend classes or concerts with a negative COVID test?
Negative COVID tests are no longer permitted for students to enter the building. Students 5 and older participating in dance and movement activities are an exception and need to be fully vaccinated under the Chicago Vaccine Mandate.
Children under 5 attending concerts must also provide a negative covid test for entry. Children 5 and over and adult concertgoers are required to be vaccinated.
More information will be emailed to students prior to the start of your class with details for specific procedures to enter the buildings.
Where can I get the vaccine?
What if I lost my vaccination card?
If you did not receive the vaccine card or lost it, your first step is to contact your vaccination provider or location where you received your vaccination. If you cannot contact your provider, you can reach out to contact your state health department's immunization information system.
State health departments will either email or mail a copy of your vaccination card, although it may take one to two weeks.
Can I get a refund?
If you no longer wish to attend Old Town School in-person programming due to this policy change, please contact our Customer Service team at 773-728-6000 during business hours. Additionally live chat is available at oldtownschool.org, or you can contact us via email at email@example.com.
Each concert has a specific refund and reschedule policy. Please refer to the email you receive when a show is rescheduled for deadlines to request a refund.
If you have purchased tickets to a concert that has been rescheduled, your tickets will automatically be transferred to the new date. If you are unable to attend the rescheduled date and would like a refund issued to your credit card, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For security purposes, we do not store your credit card information.
If you have purchased tickets to a concert that has been canceled, your ticket purchase will be refunded automatically as a credit on your Old Town School account to be used for any future purchases at Old Town School. If you would like a refund issued to your credit card, please email us at email@example.com.
We are here to help! Please contact our Customer Service team at 773-728-6000 during business hours. Additionally live chat is available at oldtownschool.org or you can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is the Music Store open?
Yes, the Old Town School Music Store is open for business, rentals, and online shopping. In-person shopping is available for short 15 minute visits during business hours - please browse the website before you arrive. Our Music Store staff is happy to answer questions during normal business hours at 773-751-3398. More details and online shopping available at musicstore.oldtownschool.org.
How does your contact tracing work?
Contact tracing will be conducted and communicated directly with students who have come in close contact with anyone confirming infection. (CDC defines close contact as any individual within 6 feet of an infected person for a total of 15 minutes or more.)
I don't have a government issued ID or my question isn't answered here.
We are happy to assist with your specific concerns. Please contact our Customer Service team at 773-728-6000 during business hours. Additionally live chat is available at oldtownschool.org, or you can contact us via email at email@example.com.
How long is this policy in effect?
This applies to all classes and concerts for the foreseeable future. We'll update the policy as new guidance requires and circumstances permit.