The Old Town School of Folk Music seeks a Financial Controller to lead the fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This position is responsible for accounting, budget, cash management, bank reconciliation, investments, audits, financial statements and projects as assigned.
- Oversees all accounting functions including, but not limited to A/P, A/R, and Payroll
- Supervises and develops accounting staff.
- Establishes and maintains accounting policies and procedures, cash controls.
- Signs checks and reviews AP expense booking.
- Develops internal processes to ensure data accuracy and consistency.
- Supervises bookkeeping for Square Roots Festival.
- Serves as backup for Accounts Payable process and payroll processing. Maintains payroll labor codes and salary distribution hierarchy.
Financial Planning and Reporting
- Performs treasury functions, including cash forecasting, cash investment and capital structure management.
- Creates and delivers financial presentations to Senior Staff, Finance & Audit Committee, Full Board of Directors, and CEO.
- Maintains, analyzes, continuously enhances, and reports on a statement of key financial ratios, metrics, and percentages that provide management with insight into important business activities and changes.
- Works with the CEO, and Senior Team to oversee development of the annual operating budget and 3-year forecast.
- Collaborates with fundraising and program staff on grant budgeting and financial reporting.
Tax and Audit
- Prepares accounts for annual audit and 990 tax return.
- Monitors annual independent contractor tax filings.
- Works with auditors, board committees, bank representatives and other partners to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- At least five years’ experience in an accounting management capacity, preferably in a nonprofit arts or education organization.
- A forward-thinking individual with past success managing projects and improving processes.
- Three years’ experience supervising staff.
- High ethical standards and sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
- Must have expertise in Blackbaud Financial Edge, ADP, and Filemaker Pro or similar financial, payroll, and database systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting, Masters degree (MA or MBA) preferred, or equivalent combination of experience and/or training; CPA required.
If interested and qualified, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.