The team at the Old Town School Resource Center is working with StoryCorps Chicago to tell the history of the Old Town School using the words of the people who have founded and continue to find our community. Below are samples taken from all of our 2017 StoryCorps interviews, many of which are featured in episodes 13-18 of the Archives Podcast.
Two Ways to Participate:
We invite you to write your own chapter in Old Town School's history by recording a StoryCorps conversation about your experiences at the School.
1. Invite a friend, colleague, or a person you know well to sit down for a 40-minute conversation, and schedule your interview either at the Old Town School or at a StoryCorps booth, by emailing the Resource Center.
2. Use the StoryCorps app on your mobile device or computer, record anywhere, and tag your story with "Old Town School" to add your conversation to the growing collection.
If you need an interview partner, or have any other questions about the project, please email the Resource Center.
- How did you originally become involved with the Old Town School of Folk Music?
- For students: What classes and instruments did you study at the Old Town School?
- For teachers: What classes and instruments did you teach at the Old Town School?
- For teachers: What are you most proud of as a teacher? Why does it make you feel proud?
- Why did you start coming to classes or concerts at Old Town School?
- Was there a particular teacher who had a big influence on you? What are some of the most important lessons that person taught you?
- Tell me about some favorite stories from your time at the Old Town School.
- How has the Old Town School influenced your life? Tell me about any particular people who influenced you, either personally or professionally. Share examples of how they impacted you.
- Turn the tables: Tell the person you're interviewing what they've meant to you.
- 10 Conversation Tips for Your Story Corps App Interview
- 5 Steps to Recording Your Story Corps App Interview
- How to Create Your Own StoryCorps Studio
StoryCorps is a non-profit oral history project with a mission to preserve and share humanity's stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Since 2003, StoryCorps partnerships with National Public Radio and the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress have already archived over 100,000 stories and millions listen to weekly broadcasts on NPR's Morning Edition as well as a local series airing on WBEZ 91.5 FM.