Sat, Apr 28th | 3:00 PM
This studio based movement class is geared toward beginner dancers with little or no experience with formal dance training. The class will focus on building the fundamentals of physical awareness using methods and techniques developed by American Modern Dance masters from Martha Graham to Bill T. Jones. Students will also be introduced to movement improvisation and the fundamentals of dance composition as it is practiced by Modern Dance artists.
General Class format:
• Set warm-up incorporating full body movements, specific articulations and simple stretches
• Phrases with a focus on building students’ knowledge of modern dance’s movement vocabulary
• Improvisation/compositional exercises that draw on students’ individual creative process
• Learning and perfecting set choreographic phrases
• Develop the student’s general physical coordination
• Cultivate student’s ability to learn, execute, and remember set choreography
• Introduce students to the artistic, expressive, and creative possibilities of movement
No experience necessary.
Attire: comfortable fitness or dance clothing (no jeans, cargo pants/shorts, jeggings, shirts/sweatshirts with hoods), bare feet; hair must be pulled away from the face.