Welcome to Scribble! Here is some useful information to help you and your child get the most from the Scribble experience.
Imagine, discover, and grow!
At the Old Town School, our children's art classes focus on both the joyful process of art making and the magical feeling of having created something new. Scribble classes introduce very young children to the wonders of visual arts through stories, art making, and water table play. Every class within the session presents the group with an entirely different project and process as we explore, problem solve, and connect within a shared social space. Each of our art teachers develops their own lesson plans and projects based on the curriculum and goals of the program, so your child will have a unique art experience every time they take an art class. We're so glad you're here to be creative, expressive, and artful with us!
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the classroom.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices should remain off for the duration of class.
- Scribble is a parent and child class — you will get the most from the experience if you are both involved and enthusiastic!
- Please try to arrive to class on time.
- Please use the time after class to visit with other parents and adults. We want you to linger, socialize and enjoy our community in the lobbies, hallways and outdoor spaces, but please remember to save socializing with other parents for after class.
- Please take advantage of the diaper changing stations in the bathrooms.
- Please do not bring your child to class when he or she is sick.
- Class size is limited to 5 children for safety and comfort.
- One parent and/or caregiver must be present for each child in the class.
- Only registered students are allowed in the class. Please do not bring unregistered siblings or other children.
- Make-up art classes are not available.
Ways to foster a positive art experience for your child
- Allow children to experience, explore, and experiment as much as possible on their own. Provide guidance without making their art for them!
- Focus on the process, not the product — it's art that they do, not art that they make.
- Set ground rules; e.g. keep the paint on the table, share with others, keep hands on your own things, etc.
- Dress your child (and yourself!) in clothes that can get messy.
- Encourage kids to spend time on their work.
- Let go of any expectation about what the art should look like.
- Understand that each child learns and creates differently.
- Talk with your child about his or her artwork.
- "Tell me about your painting."
- "What did you enjoy about making this?"
- "How did the paint feel?"
- "How did you make such a big picture?"
- "What colors did you mix to make green?"
Does your artist need a break or snack?
It's okay to step out of the classroom for a minute if your Scribbler seems to need to regroup or replenish! Please save snacks for the lobbies and waiting areas — snacks and drinks are not allowed in the classroom.
Want to capture your child on film?
Please check with your art instructor before photographing your child in class. There is no video- or audio-recording allowed.
Full refunds or full school credit are available until 24 hours before your first class begins. If you phone or stop by to cancel your registration 24 hours before your second or third class begins, a partial pro-rated school credit can be given. If your class has met three times or it is less than 24 hours before your third class, no school credit is available.
Questions or special concerns?
Please speak with your teacher before or after class about any questions or concerns. We're here to make your Scribble experience amazing! Art program manager Arif Smith can be reached via email or at 773.751.3369.